Don’t Feed Your Pets These Food Items!
You are on page 2/2.
- Ham Or/Or Pork Products should be avoided or given in small moderation as they are very high in sodium. You should always be sure any pork products shared with your pets is well cooked, as pork often contains parasites, worms and other toxins.
- Alcohol should be a given no no! Alcohol can cause a laundry list of issues for your four legged friends, including: blood acidity, tremors, diarrhea, decreased coordination, vomiting, heavy panting, depression and seizures.
- Apple Cores should not be fed to animals because the seeds contain cyanide. Accidental eating of one is not a big deal, but this all depends on the dogs size, health and how often they ingest the cores.
- Avocados are toxic to horses, but to common house dogs and cats it will only cause upset stomach and possible vomiting. The avocado pit can lodge and cause obstruction in the throat and gastrointestinal tract possibly requiring emergency veterinary care.
- Cheese, Milk & Ice Cream are three things you should keep away from your pet! Dogs especially are typically lactose intolerant in some way shape or form. The lactose intolerance means they cannot digest lactose, a natural sugar found in dairy products. Symptoms of this will include gas, bloating, belly pain, diarrhea and elevated body temperature.
- Potato Peels are not good for your pet! The peels contain oxalates. Oxalates are strong acids that are naturally occurring substances in a wide variety of foods. They play a supportive role in human metabolism, but in dogs and cats, these oxalates can wreak havoc on the digestive system. Symptoms include runny stools, vomiting, fatigue, depression, tremors and in some cases seizures.
- Moldy Foods are not good for humans or animals. This can be considered toxic for dogs and cats. Symptoms include tremors, vomiting, diarrhea and in some cases seizures. Moldy foods should be kept far away from your pets reach!
Important Note: we are not doctors or vets – use the following suggestions at your own risk! Always seek help from a poison control center, your local veterinarian or local animal hospital if you are in doubt. You can reach the national Animal Poison Control Hotline (888) 426-4435 if you have additional questions.
WARNING: Do not induce vomiting if your pet consumed drain opener, petroleum based products (such as gasoline) and acids (such as battery acid). Do not induce vomiting if the animal is having seizures, is unconscious, has a very low heart rate or if the ingested object was sharp or pointed. Call the poison control center for additional information on next steps.
Inducing vomiting for chocolates, flowers eaten, etc. can normally be accomplished by using Hydrogen Peroxide or salts. You should use approximately 1 teaspoon (tsp) per ten pounds (lbs) of body weight. Example: a 50 pound dog would require 5 teaspoons. Alternately, table salt delivered the far back of the throat will induce the same behaviors. Be sure you are outside or in a bathtub, on a tiled floor, etc. This process normally works quickly so be ready!
In any case, if you have a sick pet or have induced vomiting for what ever reason, you should still contact your local animal hospital or vet as they may have additional steps to perform. For emergencies, contact the Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
Much like humans, pets vary in size, dietary tolerance and ability to process the items listed above. This list is provided only as reference and could save you from costly vet bills over the holiday season! Did we miss something? Be sure and comment below! If you found this article useful – please consider sharing it on your social media page using the icons above or below!
You are on page 2/2.